Monday, January 16, 2012

Survived week ONE

The kids had a 2 hr. delay on Friday and college did not! Oh the joys of motherhood and how we worry. I was not worried about me driving in that nasty weather to get to school. Nope I was worried about my kids having to wait at the end of the lane to get on their bus in the cold weather. Thankfully Jackie came over around 8:30 and got them on the bus, also a shout out to my teenager who was left to take care of his younger brother for over an hour. He did great and I only had to make 1 phone call home to put the fear of God in Evan!

 Friday was my last day… of my first week of school! I was quite proud that I survived my first week and don't want to drop out. But I also was very happy to have today off. I knew there would be homework but I never imagined every day I have class.
A couple things I have learned so far.. English is scarier than I imagined and Math isn't so far. I can say I have great friends who are helping me along the way with math and I'm hoping I can do them proud by scoring well on my quizzes and test. I had 3 assignments due in math on Friday for a total of 74 questions. We went over them in class and I only missed 2 out of 74. The teacher did something I hadn't seen in quite some time. He was taking a score for how many you completed not how many you got correct. That is a different way of thinking for me especially since I had almost 3 pages of detail work for each lesson. I was still quite proud of myself and thank you to my special math friends! :)

 In English we had another quiz but I was better prepared for this one. I went into class having read chapter 3 three times completely. I had highlighted and wrote questions in the book where I knew I needed better clarification and that was the first thing I did when the teacher asked if there were any questions. I'm sure I sounded not that smart to some of the kids in the class and if I'm being honest it does hurt a little but I'm paying for this and I am taking it seriously so I just dealt with it and asked my questions anyway. I got a 4 out of 5 for the quiz and I was a little bummed but after e-mailing my teacher and her telling me exactly what she was looking for, I feel better. I am going to have to broaden my thinking in that class.
Sociology was another day of lecture and taking notes and at the end of class we had a small quiz. I had to list the top 5 things I valued and the top 5 things America valued. That is really something to think about. What do you think America values and how do your values stack up to that? Chapter 3 quiz on Wednesday and the teacher said almost all of her quizzes and test are in essay answer form. It should be interesting!

 My last class is a class Ivy Tech requires you to take. It is about how to make college successful in your life. It is kind of off balance for me because I am a grown adult and have been living my life by a schedule since I had my first child. I have been working since I was 13 or 14 years old and know how to do pretty much what I am being taught. I am trying to keep an open mind. Our homework was to go thru the week and write out everything we did in 15 minute intervals. There was so much overlapping and I once again thought it was pointless because it took me so long to write out then of course we didn't turn it in just went over it in class. It wasn't eye opening to me at all I already know where my time goes.. Mainly to my children which it has since I was 17 years old! I do have to say I really enjoy this teacher. She is kind, soft spoken but direct in her approach. I'm more open in this class but I am struggling to relate to some people just because I'm older.
I have already noticed that I want friends but most of the people in my class are not my age. My mom says it’s because I take classes during the day hours but my speech class has 10 people in it and myself and my friend Kristy are the oldest. I mean some of these kids don't even know what the 80's are. But speech was relaxing because she was there and I had someone to relate to. I know most will find this hard to believe but I am quite shy if I don't know you. I can be backwards and come off as snobbish so I'm hoping within the next couple of weeks I will be able to find some people to relate and talk to.

All in all week one was a success in my book! Only 15 more to go in this semester!

2 comments:

tmfunkhou said...

Congrats on surviving the first week of college! You were brave to take four classes your first semester. I could not have done that. Remember what a wise old sage once said (Jeff); you don't have to be super intelligent to graduate college but you have to be determined and focused...you have to REALLY want it! Of course you are super intelligent so it will be a breeze for you. :)

5 things I believe America values:

Beauty
Thin people
Wealth and Possessions
Independence of self
Freedom

Keep up the good work! Sociology is really going to challenge you to think. You will love it.

lbre969903 said...

Actually momma I'm taking 5 classes this semester.. I'll be okay until finals week..lol