Thursday, January 19, 2012

Am I attending High School or College?

This is the question I posed to myself after class yesterday and it kept me puzzled for the rest of the day.

The printer at home was acting up yesterday so I decided to leave the house right after the boys got on the bus and head to school so I could use the computer lab and re-read my Sociology for my quiz. I got there about 7:40am and my first class doesn't start until 8:30am so I had plenty of time. As I sat there in the hallway with my music playing in my ears and reading my text I could feel eyes looking at me. I look up and I see this young girl looking right at me as she is walking with her friend. I see her continue to look at my shirt, say something to her friend and then they both looked at me and laughed. I went back to reading and then headed to class. Now mind you Friday all my classes were not well attended due to the snow, I wouldn't have missed because I didn't want to get a zero on my homework.
Quite a few people walked into math class trying to turn in their homework from Friday and expected the teacher to accept it because they couldn't make it in. But the most upsetting part of the day happened in English.
We were instructed to bring in a personal hygiene product and the assignment was to write a description about the product you brought without saying what it was. We were given about 5 minutes to do this and then we would be put in groups to get peer review. A woman raised her hand and asked a question of the teacher, about the product she brought, and this boy looked over at the person sitting next to him and started laughing at what she was asking. I was disturbed to say the least! I went on with my assignment and then we were split up into groups. Want to guess who got put in my group? Oh yes...this boy!! I was none too happy.. The part of the group was to read what you wrote and then each person was to give you constructive criticism on what you could have included to have written more details about the product. This young lady read hers and we talked about it while this boy texted and didn't say anything. I looked over at him and said
Me: "Do you have any criticism you would like to add?"
 Him: Who me? Yeah I do!
Then he starts reading what he wrote. I proceeded to say tell him no he needed to give some criticism on what she could have included. His response: "I don't know what that means." I explain to him he needs to give her some feedback about what she could have included in her description to which he says "I think it was just fine." By this time I'm ready to explode because I didn't know if the teacher was taking a grade for this and I knew I wasn't going to get a bad grade because he refused to pay attention. I proceeded to read what I wrote and he once again had nothing to add. Thank goodness the others did! Then it was his turn to read and we were able to give him some feedback, which to my surprise he actually wrote down. Then the teacher started to explain what she was looking and the woman, that had asked a question earlier, asked another question and this boy started to laugh AGAIN!! I seriously thought I was going to punch him in the face!! I had never been so ready to get out of that class. Sociology was fine and then the last class had another incident..
The last class is a class that Ivy Tech requires you to take some time but if I remember correctly if you are going full time hours you have to take it that semester. It can be either a 1 credit hour or 3 credit hour class. I am taking the one for 3 credit hours. We were talking about prioritizing, scheduling and time management. The class went just fine but at the end the teacher was going over our syllabus and what was going to be due soon. Class got over and this other boy said he liked to work ahead and didn't appreciate that he couldn't do that in this class. Back talking a college professor, really?
I left asking myself over and over again.. Why does this feel like high school instead of college? Besides the fact that the work is definitely college level all other aspects feels like high school. To the girls hoarding together in the hallways with their girlfriends laughing at you because you look different, the couples holding hands and kissing in the hallways, the students not taking responsibility for their own work, being disrespectful to other people & laughing at them for asking questions in class and arguing with your professors.. I knew that I had a low tolerance for teenagers and their behavior but I'm beginning to believe I'm not quite a fan of the 20 something age group either and yes I know that is grouping a lot of people into a category that they don't belong in and is judgmental in some retrospect but if you don't like it then don't read my blog.
These are my thoughts and hopefully as time goes on they will be changed!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

You have every right to be disturbed and even disguested at such disrespectful and apathetic behavior. The reality is some people never grow up and continue to live judgemental and self-centered lives. Perhaps some of it can be attributed to lack of education and life experiences and for you I hope that as you progress through your classes you encounter less and less of those noxious people. Maybe you can even mentor some of them through your own actions and responses. I feel bad that you have come into contact with so many negative behaviors but you can certainly build upon your own skills and strengths and learn vicariously through their mistakes. Group projects are especially difficult when less than enthusiastic students are paired with serious learners. I think the professors/teachers do this purposely actually. My son came home yesterday complaining of the exact same thing. Let me tell you that your professor will take notice. He has outshone many of his peers and mentored others at age 12 (his teachers and peers nicknamed him the professor) lol...imagine what you can do with your life experiences. :)

tmfunkhou said...

WELCOME TO FRESHMAN YEAR OF COLLEGE!! Jeff always says that if you ever need to know anything just ask a first year college student because THEY KNOW EVERYTHING!! Or at least they think they do. (Hmmm...I wonder how he know?)

They point and giggle because they are too immature to have an adult conversation and they are insecure about themselves.

And the idiot in your English class...well he can't add anything to a conversation that he didn't listen to or understand. I am sure it was way over his head. Besides he probably wants to be a record producer so why does he need English.

Unfortunately, you will be surrounded by immature and juvenile behavior because 26 is the new 18 they say and I think they are correct.

If your fellow students talk back to the professor, aren't responsible, and can't contribute to a conversation then look at their home life. Chances are they never had to do any chore, they were allowed to talk back to their parents without recourse, and were never told to "shut up and listen because you might learn somthing" (my father's famous saying when I was a kid).

I know you are going to be a great student because these things bother you. They should bother you! So, let them point and laugh, ignore you, and be rude then smile and work your tale off because someday you will be their boss! Be sure to take a lot of psychology classes it will help you understand and tolerate the idiots among you.