At my 5 month check up the ultrasound tech found some issues with your right kidney and your femur bones. A doctor was called in and I was given the diagnosis of a possibility of you having Down Syndrome and an amnio was suggested. I refused and said I would allow them to test my blood but I was not taking the chance of a miscarriage. This was on a Friday and that had to of been the longest weekend of my life. I went to the library and got every book they had on kidney issues and Downs. I decided that day when I left the hospital that no matter what diagnosis they came back with that I was not going to be unprepared for it. The call finally came and the diagnosis was: NOTHING... The bloodwork showed that the chances of you having Downs was something like 1 in 50 million.. (might be wrong on the number).. But I was required to go for monthly ultrasounds so the docs could keep an eye on your right kidney.
Your due date was November 3rd.. On September 24th I went in for my routine ultrasound check up and the tech once again noticed your right kidney didn't look good (surprise) and then they listened to your heart beat and it was not proper. It was skipping. What? This had not been an issue at all. I had listened to your heart beat every time I went to the OB and it always sounded fine. This caused concern so I was sent directly to have a stress test. During that test your heart was doing the samething and I was asked a billion questions.
~ Was I under any stress?
~ Had any situations in my life changed?
~ Did I feel any different?
~ Had I noticed any changes about your movement?
I had noticed some changes in your movement but I chalked it up to the last OB appointment. You were breech and the doc moved you in the birthing positions for me because I was terrified of having a c-section. He knew that I was trying my hardest to not have one. After the stress test was given the docs decided that it was in both of ours best interest to be admitted to the High Risk wing of the hospital. They knew your lungs were not developed all the way and I once again was given the option of having an amnio done or 2 days worth of steriod shots to better prepare your lungs. I, of course, opted for the shots. As I lay in that bed hooked up to a fetal heart monitor I had your cousin Kayleigh with me. She was so sweet and wanted to see the new baby that was going to be added to our family. She had to be at the hospital all day running around with me while every doctor poked and prodded you and me to see what was going on. I started making phone calls to anyone and everyone letting them know what was going on. I'm still under the assumption that you are not joining the world, outside of my stomach, for a couple more days.
I was given 1 steriod shot almost immediately after I was admitted.. OUCH is all I have to say about that.. It didn't take long after that for you to react. Your heart rate went from 90 to 200 within a matter of seconds. They just kept looking at the papers from the monitor but didn't say much to me. But I did start to hear talk of a c-section. That was it.. I had dealt with this whole day with the maturity of a really grown adult not of a scared to death 24 year old woman. My walls broke. The tears started to come and wouldn't stop. I thought a c-section was the worst thing that could of ever happened to me at that point in my life. My hospital room was a hussle and bussle with so many doctors and nurses and then family started to arrive. I remember that my dad say me crying and came over to me and hugged me said "You can do this, Leslie". That is only the 2nd time I remember my dad every hugging me. My regular OB had went on vacation to Texas so another one came in and said directly to me "This baby is coming tonight" and an emergency c-section was scheduled. I guess you were tired and wanted to explore the world! As they were wheeling me back to the operating room Bret and I decided you needed a name. We had a few picked out but see we weren't really prepared for you to arrive. We soon realized this would be the first decision you made and we had no choice in the matter.. But it wouldn't be your last! At 7:49 p.m. you graced us with your present weighing 3 lbs 10 oz.. So much hair and your eyes were open looking right at momma. My life forever changed! The next 28 days you spend in the NICU and the next year you fought the hardest any lil guy could to keep yourself alive. Undergoing several surgeries and a mother that knew nothing and everything all wrapped up together.
Fast forward 8 years.. You are currently a 2nd grader in a typical classroom. You walk, talk, sing, argue, run. skip, jump and so many more things that SO many said you would never do. You try my patience more than your brother ever has and somedays I think will he ever stop talking. Then I think off how hard you have fought and how many things you have taught me and I am thankful!
Mommy loves you Evan!



1 comment:
What a wonderful, heartfelt rendition of Evan's entrance to the world. And the world will never be the same again! He is an amazing testimony of God' grace. I love you Evan! (and mommy too)(and of course, Robbie)
Post a Comment