
I have made sure everyday since school started to remind Evan the rules of the bus b/c we started out not on a good foot with the bus driver. Plus I want him to know just b/c he has a hearing loss does not mean he does not have to mind the rules. We did find him a hearing bus buddy to clarify anything that the bus driver might say to him or anyone around him and that has been working well since school started a week ago. I am fortunate that Robbie is on the bus also so he can tell me if there are any problems and today was that day. I had to pick Robbie up early from school due to the stomach bug and he informed me Evan got in trouble this morning on the bus b/c he was not sitting in his seat and messing with his cousin who sits behind him. So after school today he of course did not tell me anything and I asked him what happened on the bus to which he responded: "I got in trouble and that is all".. I finally got him to explain what happened and we again went over the rules and then I told him he would write the bus driver an apology letter, plus this helps me work on letter recognition and his penmanship. (Isn't it great how that works :) I added a picture of it but I can't tell if you can really see it but it says:
I am sorry for misbehaving on the bus. From: Evan HineIt was fun to do it with him even though he thinks I am a complete loser!

But truly the highlight of the day was the hearing test that Evan had at the school today. I asked last week if he was going to be required to go through the hearing screening they would be doing and was told that the school is required to do them for all kindergartner's. I warned the school that he might give them a fuss when they told him he had to take his hearing aids out and that he would probably tell them he is already deaf but wasn't going to make a stink about it b/c he wouldn't be missing any class time for this. I thought for sure I would get the slip telling me that he didn't pass and I would need to do additional follow up but to my surprise I got a slip that said his hearing was..... Are you ready????
WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS!!!! I had a great laugh at this and believe me I completely needed after the kind of day I ended up having. No I don't think for one second he passed nor do I think that the school thinks he does either. Just another formality that goes with mainstream school. I have learned a lesson this year already.. Make sure I get him out of this next year!!
1 comment:
That hearing test result is actually pretty scary- if a child with a known hearing loss tests "within normal limits," then how many kids are getting missed with that system? Yikes. There could be some late-onset kiddos who aren't getting "caught" by that type of screening!
Though it was good for the laugh, I suppose. Did the audiologist even notice that the child wore hearing aids? That should have been a pretty major clue!
Post a Comment