Friday, August 28, 2009

Clarification..

A few days ago I posted about Evan going through the hearing test done at his mainstream school. It has seemed to make some people freak out or worry that maybe I missed something.. So here is the clarification..

The test was done by the schools speech therapist not an audiologist. Our school does not have an Educational Audiologist (which is not uncommon). I am not really worried about this test holding any merit in the school b/c really this kind of test can not hold up to what an audiologist can do. Yes the school knows he has a hearing loss and yes they know he wears hearing aids. I just didn't think about this when we had his CC to have him removed from having to do this. And to be honest I talked to a mom yesterday whose son is 20 and deaf and she said her son LOVED to go to the hearing test. He did not like being pulled away b/c that made him different.

Did Evan really pass the test? NO WAY!!! Does the school know that? YES.. Could their be some false positives? Sure but that is with any test and my experience has been that parents usually take their kiddos for testing if they suspect a hearing loss.

I guess I should have clarified this b/c I truly believed and still do.. That it is funny!!

1 comment:

PinkLAM said...

That is so funny! Right after my hearing had dropped significantly (but shortly before I got my CIs) the special ed department, for whatever reason, wanted to have the nurse test my hearing and vision. When I went down there, she saw my hearing aids and didn't think I needed to get my hearing tested, so she just checked off that I passed. I got a pretty big kick out of that! (I think she may have thought that HAs completely corrected my hearing, although I can't be sure!)