Monday, August 25, 2008

Spit it out!!!

98 % of the time our family is able to sit down and have our dinner together, whether that be at a restaurant or at home, we always try to do this. It is usually the one time during the whole day we are all together and we get to discuss our days, plus it is the one time we DO NOT do speech therapy with Evan. He can mess up as much as he wants or needs to and we don't correct it. I will admit it is very hard for me to allow him to mess up words, put his thoughts backwards or just not even remember what he is trying to say. The other night I was trying to get things accomplished to get Robbie and Bret out the door for football practice and a guitar lesson afterwards, so our lovely dinner time was not going according to plan. Evan and Robbie were nit picking on whose turn it was to talk and so finally I told them that Evan could tell his story first and then Robbie. Well of course Robbie had to has his hissy fit, he is almost a teenager, then Evan started to talk. He was so excited to tell his story to Bret that he kept forgetting what he was wanting to say. Robbie was becoming impatient and I was just trying to get dinner done. So I turned around and looked at Evan and said "Just spit it out" and he looked at me and opened his mouth and said "Mom I already swallowed what I was eating". Bret and I looked at each other and just busted out laughing and Evan just couldn't figure out what was going on. So I explained to him that I just meant for him to hurry up and tell daddy his story so Robbie could talk and then we could eat and he looked at me like I had a 3rd eye and said "Whatever"... It definitely was the highlight of my day !!

1 comment:

Amy Kay said...

Everyone in the living room looked at me funny when I started laughing over this one. Just spit it out!!! Oh my goodness! Only the mother of a hearing impaired child could truly enjoy the humor in that entire situation!!!! My funny story is my son got smart with me one time because I didn't hear what he said. (we both wear hearing aids) I said, "hello!!!, I got 'em too" and pointed to my aids,,, we laughed so hard together....funny stuff.