Evan got off the bus yesterday with a yellow glow stick and was so excited because he found a light saber (spelling???)... He said he found it on the floor of the bus and their was no name so he could have it. Don't quote me but I am pretty sure that the bus driver has a rule that if you lose something and it doesn't have your name on it and someone else finds it then it is theirs.. So I am assuming this is where Evan got the idea he could keep it. He played with the thing all night and even slept with it in his bed. He put it in his backpack this morning to take with him on the bus and to school. Skip to this afternoon he gets off the bus and you can tell he has been crying, crosses the street and I ask him what is wrong and then his crocodile tears start and won't stop. Robbie starts to explain that supposedly the glow stick was Jacob's and Evan jumps in and says "Mrs. Neff (his teacher) is going to call you to ask you if it belongs to me, will you tell her it does?" He said Jacob started crying because he wanted his toy back but Evan told his teacher that it was his and not Jacob's. Aarrgghhh!!!
So I have to politely explain to Evan the entire walk back to the house that if Jacob would have found one of his toys on the bus and done the same thing to him that he has done to Jacob he would be crying also and would be very upset.
I will tell you this kindergarten has taught me so much more than I think it is teaching Evan. :) I had to e-mail his teacher and apologize for Evan's actions, although I am not sure at this point what they were but I am worried, and for her to let me know if further actions need to take place. I guess my mother was right "It doesn't pay to be dishonest".....
Update as of 3:58 p.m.... I just received an e-mail from Evan's teacher.. Sounds like my child did not put up a fit and did well.. Guess mom will be going out tonight and finding a glow stick for this child!!
1 comment:
Those "life lessons" can be so hard for kids to learn! It is a good lesson, though- Evan got to think about what it would be like to lose a toy on the bus, and have someone else walk off with it.
I've been reading "Henry Huggins" to Matt lately, and in that book Henry finds a dog (first chapter). At the very end of the book, the original owner comes to take the dog back. It was a good talking point for Matt- to think about who the dog belonged to, and who should keep the dog.
Post a Comment